Wednesday, February 13, 2013

TAKE TWO!
White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack By Peggy McIntosh

Quotes(Forgot to mention this in my first post)
I wanted to start this post off with one of the first quotes McIntosh writes. "I was taught to see racism only in individual acts of meanness, not in invisible systems conferring dominance on my group." I liked this quote because it reminds me of what we discuss in class. Racism is categorized, an individual can act racist but they learned it from another person or people. Growing up I didn't know that racism was talking about white people, I just thought that it was an individual person acting it out.

"Whites are carefully taught not to recognize white privilege, as males are taught not to recognize male privilege." I like the comparison she made in this quote because I agree. I was never brought up thinking I was privileged because I was white, just like males don't think they are more privileged.

This video talks about both points I wrote about
He is a comedian- hope this video it ok to post!

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't brought up thinking I was privileged either. It's weird that we don't recognize these things until it's laid out in front of us.

    ReplyDelete