Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Cinderella ate my daughter


Cinderella Ate My Daughter
Peggy Orenstein

This text was easy to read, just very long. This is another story that makes me feel a bit torn. Some of the text I can agree with, but at points I just wanted to stop reading because I almost felt like I knew what was coming next.

Reflection
            I decided to write a reflection on this piece so I could compare it to my own personal life. Growing up I loved everything about Disney. Princesses of course were something my sister and I enjoyed very much. I also have a younger brother and we have numerous videos of us dressing him up in princess costumes. Did this affect him, no! He loved it, as much as we loved playing with fire trucks and Legos. I have a big family so I felt like we grew up playing with each other’s toys (boy and girl). This is why I have such a hard time reading these stories. Personally watching Disney Movies and wanting to be a princess at the age of 3 was a fantasy, when I actually understood the movies I knew that, that wasn’t real life and doesn’t happen.  My 3 year old toddler loves princesses, but she also loves toy story, power ranges, trains, reptiles, motorcycles and a lot more, just as much. I have a hard time agreeing that shows and movies like this affect such young kids in the way they see themselves.

            I do agree with Orenstein when she talks about the color pink, in today’s society. I don’t think that all the pink is necessary. Toys need to be made more gender neutral because boys should be able to play with “girl”
 toys without the fear of being made fun of.




No comments:

Post a Comment